My brother Bill is a fireman bold
He pits oot fires*
Though he is only forty four and a half years old
He pits oot fires
He went out to a fire one night
Someone shouted DYNAMITE!!!!
But wherever he is he’ll be all right
He pits oot fires
Translation and Explanatory Notes
*pits oot = puts out
An essential part of a fireman’s function is the extinguishing of conflagrations.
This is secondary only to his primary duty which, obviously, is to rescue precious wee kitty cats who get stuck up trees.
Diligent research has not yet revealed whether this is as frequent an occurrence as children’s books and TV shows suggest.
DYNAMITE!!! The use of capital letters and exclamation marks indicates the level of concern displayed at the discovery of explosive materials in an already inflammatory situation.
Wherever he is – There are two generally accepted options here for his final destination
He is either sitting on a wee fluffy cloud strumming cheerfully on a harp or
He is in a not-so-nice burny place where he is equally unperturbed because, as discussed above, his professional training ideally equips him to handle just such a situation.
AnElephant now does a reading of this delightful poem, which he believes to be a traditional rhyme with no copyright.
If this is not the case he is of course happy to acknowledge his mistake and give credit where due.
Notes, Disclaimers and other General Comments:
1. AnElephant’s brother is not called Bill.
2. AnElephant’s brother is not a Fireman, bold or otherwise. This is not intended in any way to cast aspersions on his boldness, bravery or courage, because if he was indeed a Fireman, AnElephant is quite sure he would be jolly bold.
3. AnElephant’s brother is not forty four and a half years old.
AnElephant fibbed about that to conceal his own age.
Which is a scarily big number between 6 and 1 million.
4. No brother of AnElephant was injured in the production of this post.
5. He has, to AnElephant’s knowledge, never been blown up by DYNAMITE!!!